Anyone who struggles with shortness of breath should be referred to pulmonologists, specialists in diseases of the lower respiratory system. They are trained in the complex relationship between the heart and lungs, which includes deep knowledge of the symbiotic interrelationships of airways, muscles, and the circulatory system.
Individuals manifesting one or more of the symptoms listed below should schedule an appointment with SMA Metropolitan Medical Group, located at 570 Park Avenue, East Orange.
- Cough that is severe and/or that has lasted more than three weeks
- Chest pain or tightness in the chest
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, and/or fainting
- Difficulty breathing, especially during light or moderate exercise
- A bad cold or bronchitis that impairs breathing
- Difficulty controlling asthma attacks and/or identifying the trigger/s of the attacks
Pulmonologists diagnose and treat a wide range of respiratory conditions, including:
- Cystic fibrosis: a genetic disease in which thick mucus builds up in the lungs and other organs
- COPD: also called chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which worsens over time
- Lung cancer; emphysema
- Pulmonary fibrosis (damages the lungs, causing scar tissue)
- Work-related lung diseases (“black lung” affects workers exposed to asbestos or coal dust)